Friday, December 4, 2009

Battle Damage Tips

I was asked a few times on how I did the battle damage on my Imperial Fists.


It is a variation on the sponge method using a different tool.


I love the look of sponge painted battle damage, but using a sponge on a mini tends to end up being overkill.


I am on the lookout for a tool that will do a similar job but on a smaller scale.


Right now I am tring out this sculpting tool I found in a package of cheap clay scuplting tools.


It looks like a cross between a toolbrush and a pipe cleaner(Which I want to try out if I can find one).

The tool has many small nylon threads that seem to do a good job of making sparse random patterns.





Now on the the method



For lighter colored armors(White/Yellow/Orange)


I use a mix of Charadon Granite and Dark Flesh(3:1)


For darker colors I use a Mix of the Basecoat and Charadon Granite(3:1)


The I use the tool to make a FEW and I cannot stress a few marks on the armor.


If you go overboard it will look like camouflage.


I put a few marks on the greaves,Boot-tips,and a random mark or two on a shoulder pad and arm.


I also make sure the top rear portion has a few scratches where he would be ducking under rubble and some of it snagging his pack.


Then I carefully highlight underneath each scratch with Bleached Bone.


The highlight should not be the same size as the scratch and sometimes only a pinprick dot of highlight is all you need.


On one or two of my larger chips I will paint a tiny hint of boltgun metal in the middle.

3 comments:

MasterDarksol said...

I need to get me one of those. Thanks for the improved tool, that's a great idea!

Will Wright said...

I suspect a pipe cleaner might work even better,but I have no access to one ATM.

Simon said...

Thanks for the tip. I need to work up the courage again to try this on a model!